The Queensland Wine Industry Association is pleased to have presented another successful Queensland wine awards event on the 4th, 5th, and 6th September at the Hotel Grand Chancellor.
We thank our category sponsors – Hally Labels and the Queensland Hotels Association, we appreciate your support of our industry. We also thank our Stewarding team lead by Chief Steward, Sandra Dean. They work very hard behind the scenes in getting the wines set up for judging, ensuring the wines are poured in the correct order, and the clean up afterwards.
This year the judging team was led by Tony Harper, a well recognised international and national wine judge, plus owner of Craft Wine Stores. The complete judging team was Tony Harper, Luke Fitzpatrick, Ramon Arnavas, Tom Battle, Allan Hunter, with associate judges Thomas Moore, Lochie Ryan, Luke Willis, and Natascha Arnavas.
Queensland is really showing it’s strength in the alternative varieties with the Champion Wine of Show awarded to Balancing Rock Wines for their 2015 Sagrantino. David and Lorelie Broadbent from Balancing Rock Wines were delighted and slightly overwhelmed to receive their awards which included Champion Alternate Variety White Wine, sponsored by Hally Labels.
The Champion Alternate White Wine (sponsored by Hally Labels) was awarded to the Queensland College of Wine Tourism label – Banca Ridge for their 2016 Gateway Viognier, which was also awarded the Champion Wine $20 and Under. It shows great promise for our future wine producers and the quality of the training they receive at the QCWT.
Congratulations to the Winery of the Year – Hidden Creek Wines, make sure you add this cellar door to your list when you visit the Granite Belt.
QWIA congratulates all the award and medal winners, and thanks the Queensland wine industry for their continued support of our awards. We look forward to a larger show again in 2019!
- Most supportive media – Des Houghton, The Courier Mail
- Most supportive restaurant – Hungry Feel, Buderim
- Most supportive community event – Regional Flavours, Brisbane Marketing
- Champion Mainstream White Wine: Clovely Estate Semillon 2010
- Champion Alternate Variety White Wine: Banca Ridge Viognier 2016 (Sponsored By Hally Labels)
- Champion Mainstream Red Wine: Ridgemill Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2016
- Champion Alternate Red Wine: Balancing Rock Sagrantino 2015 (Sponsored by Hally Labels)
- Champion Fortified Wine: Riversands Vineyards Golden Liqueur White Muscat
- Champion Wine $20 and under: Banca Ridge Viognier 2016
- Champion Wine of Show: Balancing Rock Sagrantino 2015
Industry Awards (Sponsored by QHA):
- Winery of the Year – Hidden Creek Wines
- Winemaker of the Year – Mike Hayes