The Queensland Wine Industry Association is pleased to have presented another successful Queensland wine awards event on the 4th of September at the Queensland Parliament House in Brisbane.
We thank our sponsors – The Courier Mail, Hally Labels, Classic Oak Products, Plasdene, Landmark Ballandean, FMR and the Queensland Hotels Association, we appreciate your support of our industry. We also thank our Stewarding team lead by Chief Steward, Sandra Deane. They work very hard behind the scenes in getting the wines set up for judging, ensuring the wines are poured in the correct order, and the clean up afterwards.
This year the judging team was led by Andrew Santarossa, an accomplished wine show judge and panel chair across multiple Australian states, Chief Winemaker for Mitchelton Wines and regular feature judge at the Cairns Wine Awards and the Australian Small Winemakers Show. The complete judging team was Andrew Santarossa, Jan Taborski, Tony Harper, Luke Willis, Jeff Cahill and Lachlan Ryan with associate judges Steve Messiter and Anthony Remetta.
Champion Wine of Show was awarded to Golden Grove Estate for their 2018 Barbera. Ray Costanzo, who was also awarded Queensland Winemaker of the Year, was delighted and slightly overwhelmed to receive their award, sponsored by Hally Labels. Ray also accepted the Queensland Viticulturist of the Year Award on behave of his father, Sam Costanzo. In what has been a tough year on the Granite Belt with the extreme drought, they are really feeling the pinch and this recognition meant so much to their family.
Congratulations to Golden Grove Estate for a clean slate in the Industry Awards and to top it off, taking out Winery of the Year – make sure you add this cellar door to your list when you visit the Granite Belt.
QWIA congratulates all the award and medal winners, and thanks to the Queensland wine industry for their continued support of our awards. We look forward to a larger show again in 2020!
- Most Supportive Press and Media – Des Houghton, The Courier Mail (Sponsored by Queensland Wine Industry Association)
- Most Supportive Restaurant – BillyKart, West End (Sponsored by The Courier Mail)
- Most Supprtive Retailer – Spiros Bottleshop Paddington (Sponsored by The Courier Mail)
- Most Supportive Community Event – Regional Flavours, Toowoomba (Sponsored by The Courier Mail)
- Champion Mainstream White Wine: Tobin Wines Semillon 2011 (Sponsored by Classic Oak Products)
- Champion Alternate Variety White Wine: Golden Grove Estate Vermentino 2019 (Sponsored by Hally Labels)
- Champion Mainstream Red Wine: Ridgemill Estate Merlot/Malbec 2016 (Sponsored by Classic Oak Products)
- Champion Alternate Red Wine: Golden Grove Estate Barbera 2018 (Sponsored by Hally Labels)
- Champion Fortified or Sparkling Wine: No Awarded (Sponsored by Hally Labels)
- Outstanding Wine of Provenance: Clovely Estate Semillon 2003/2009/2017 (Sponsored by FMR)
- Champion Wine $20 and under: Not Awarded (Sponsored by Plasdene)
- Champion Wine of Show: Golden Grove Estate Barbera 2018 (Sponsored by Hally Labels)
- Winery of the Year – Golden Grove Estate (Sponsored by Landmark Ballandean)
- Winemaker of the Year – Ray Costanzo, Golden Grove Estate (Sponsored by The Courier Mail)
- Viticulturist of the Year – Sam Costanzo, Golden Grove Estate (Sponsored by The Courier Mail)
- Samuel Basset Award – Leeanne Puglisi Gangemi (Sponsored by Queensland Wine Industry Association)